Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lenten Reflection for Wednesday, March 26


March 26, 2014
WEDNESDAY OF THE THIRD WEEK OF LENT

Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9 * Matthew 5:17-19

In the readings for today, God gives us a clear message that if we follow his commandments, we will be great. In the first reading, Moses tells the people of Israel to obey the statutes and the decrees of the Lord, because it will make them a great nation. The Psalm tells us to glorify and praise the Lord for his statutes and ordinances. And in the Gospel, Jesus encourages us to follow the commandments that God has given us, and he tells us that whoever does this will be called greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

In our world today, some see the Catholic Church as just an institution that gives us a bunch of rules to follow. And if we follow all these rules, we’ll get into heaven. I know in my life I find myself sometimes “just following the rules.” At times, that’s all the Church is to me. However, the Church is so much more than that. There is a reason God gave us commandments. It’s not just a list of things we have to say “no” to. God knows that if we follow his laws, we will be truly free. We will be great. Just imagine what the world would be like if the United States followed the laws of the Lord. We would truly be the greatest nation in the world.

  • What are some laws of the Lord that I have trouble with? Can I clearly see that by following the Lord’s commandments I will be happy and free?
  • Do I thank God for giving me his statutes and ordinances so that I can know how to be the best person I can be?

Cecilia Stevenson
Class of 2014
Major: Telecommunication Media Studies
Future plans: I want to work in Catholic media.

------------
St. Mary's Catholic Center will post a daily reflection from a student, former student, or staff member every day of Lent. We have compiled these reflections into a handout, given to our students on Ash Wednesday.

No comments: