Thursday, October 4, 2012

Motherhood


Some great thoughts on motherhood from my friend Lauren on her relationship with her oldest daughter. Here is a snip:
I will remind you that you are more than what your peers may say you are.

I will remind you how petty girls of 12, 13 and 14 can be. Of one thing I am sure: adolescents do NOT have a clear view of reality. I will help you see that hormones can make for unpleasant cafeteria lunches, but it will be so much better next week. I will help you appreciate your talents, your gifts, your loveliness, your uniqueness. Even if others don’t appreciate them. They will someday. I will tell you stories from my past that you may only half-listen to, but maybe someday you’ll realize that I really DID know what you were going through. I will try to remind you of the bigger picture, or at least make you chocolate chip cookies.

I will let you be yourself

I will not make you feel that you need to look, act, speak, or dress like everyone else. I will remind you that this world is much bigger than this small college town, and there is room in it for many different kinds of people. I don’t want you to be a cookie-cutter-girl. I love seeing a bit of me and a bit of your father in you. And I especially love to see this new personality that is all yours. Your humor, your hobbies, the things you like to collect, the books you like to read, the jokes that make you laugh. No, I don’t want you to be just like anyone else but you. And I will be careful to make sure that you know that.
Continue Reading.

No comments: