- Relief from the heat and drought.
- Safety for those suffering from wildfires. Here is the latest:
Wildfire update – Sept. 6, 2011 Current situation:
· Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 22 new fires for 7,544 acres, including 10 new large fires.
· In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 181 fires for 118,413 acres.
· It appears that in the past 48 hours, more than 700 homes have been destroyed. As better assessments come in, we will continue to update the situation report.
· 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans
- For the repose of the soul of Msgr. Charles Elmer, who died on Friday at the age of 88. A war hero, Msgr. Elmer landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. After he was ordained, Msgr. Elmer was appointed chaplain at Texas A & M. In an interview in 2003, he said, “Sometimes I think of those ten years at A&M as the best of my life.” Most recently he served as a spiritual director for seminarians at St. Mary's Seminary in Houston. May he rest in peace, and Gig'em Msgr. Elmer!