Thursday, December 2, 2010

Who is Smarter - An NFL Player or an 8th Grader From 1895?

Look at the differences in the test given to NFL players (called the Wonderlic) and a test from an 1895 8th grade class.

-----------


Wonderlic Test:
A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

1895 8th Grade Test:
Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
-----------

Wonderlic Test:
Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?

1895 8th Grade Test:
What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per m?
-----------

Wonderlic Test:
CREDIT CREDENCE These words:
a: Have similar meanings.
b: Have opposite meanings.
c: Have neither similar nor opposite meanings.

1895 8th Grade Test:
What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
-----------

Wonderlic Test:
Which of the following numbers represents the greatest amount: 6, 6.0, 0.600, 60?

1895 8th Grade Test:
Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
-----------

No wonder our public education system has fallen behind much of the rest of the world. We don't even expect our NFL players to be as smart as an 8th grader from 1895.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I think Snopes has a good post covering this. I suspect that if I tried to take a test administered in today's classrooms, I might have trouble with some of the specialized information as well.

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/1895exam.asp

Marcel said...

Jeff - Maybe so, but I had no trouble with the Wonderlic. The post was more a comment on the state of athletics than anything else.

Ms. K said...

Nice article, Jeff. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Marcel, I understand your critique on the state of athletics, but your generalization of public education was a bit off. I teach at a public high school and I see students do amazing things every day! There's always room for improvement, but things are not as dismal as you would lead us to believe.

-Karie

Jeff said...

I had no trouble with the Wonderlic either, but the 1895 test was difficult to say the least.

However, I bet I would have trouble with lots of tests I breezed through in high school. I doubt I would remember much Latin or how to diagram a sentence.