Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Favorite Hymns

First Things has been doing lists of the Top 10 Worst Hymns and then the Top 10 Best Hymns. I agree with some on both lists, but these kind of lists are completely subjective.

If I had one personal criteria on how I judge a great hymn (limiting it to non-Christmas English hymns) it would be a positive answer to this question - would I want it at my funeral? Yes, I know that some great hymns wouldn't be appropriate for my funeral.

Here is one that makes the cut - How Great Thou Art.
The rendition below is amazing and this is from someone who isn't a Carrie Underwood fan.


Other songs that might make the list:
*Be Thou My Vision
*Amazing Grace
*Holy, Holy, Holy
*The King of Love My Shepherd Is
*Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
*Holy God We Praise Thy Name
*To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King

No comments: