Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Reading

I kicked off my serious summer reading this past weekend at the beach. We spent a few days there and while there I read the following books:


I also finished my June/July edition of First Things and started Fire Within: St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and the Gospel-On Prayer by Thomas Dubay.

On my end table currently:
The Virgin Mary and the Theology of the Body. by Fr. Donald H. Calloway.

I will also be picking up one or two of the novels recommended recently to me in the comments of the Top 20 Catholic Novels post.

What are you reading this summer?

5 comments:

tour86rocker said...

Can I also toss in that the Ignatius Study Bible, the whole set of New Testament commentaries and notes plus the full New Testament in a great CATHOLIC translation, in one binding, is only $15 on Amazon.

It's a great tool for bible studies; even if you're not a leader, it can help discussion to move along!

Baron Korf said...

ugh, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on Death of a Pope. I found it bland and boring. He had a good set up but he never went anywhere with it. The only fun part was the description of the Polish grandfather.

Marcel said...

Baron,

It wasn't a great novel, but I didn't find it bland either. In the genre of explicit Catholic literature, I put it somewhere in between the books of Bud McFarlane (not very good) and Michael O'Brien (pretty good). But, none of them are to the level of the others I listed recently.

Angela said...

Just finishing the Pope's "Jesus of Nazareth," and just started "Brothers Karamozov." Also plan on Chesterton's "The Everlasting Man." After that, we'll see.

Marcel said...

Angela - All of those are great books.

I also recommend the Ignatius Study Bible (New Testament). It is wonderful.