Friday, March 5, 2010

Childlike Trust

This post is by Stephanie Curtis, a Campus Ministry Intern at St. Mary's. She and the other interns are guest blogging for us during Lent.

Growing up it wasn’t uncommon to find us grandkids out on the bays fishing with grandpa. This time I was around 7 or 8 yrs old. To us the bays were a crazy confusing maze. You could start in one but then take multiple turns, go through connecting cuts, blink your eyes, and you were 3 bays away from where you started. As confusing and lost as it seemed for us, Grandpa knew the bays like the back of his hand.

This time we were going night fishing, so mounted on the front of the boat were two huge spot lights that lit up the pitch black night. After a great night of fishing it was time to head back to the boat ramp. As we took off, the front spot lights began to flicker, the generator went out, and we were left in complete darkness.

Grandpa calmly pulled out a single hand spot light, which was nothing compared to the flood lights that went out, and he got us back to the boat ramp, as if it were a breeze.

As afraid as I am of the dark I can honestly say that I was not scared at all, that night. I had no doubt that I was completely safe in my grandpa’s hands. Though the light was not the brightest, it seemed to make the darkness vanish.

Children are a beautiful example of pure trust. It comes so easily to them, it is a natural instinct. Back then, I simply naturally felt safe in my grandpa’s hands, with no doubt that he could get us back safely. A child’s trust, which stems from his being loved, is a beautiful example of simplicity.

Even if in our past we may not have felt such trust in the adults around us, we can find reassurance in Isaiah’s words, “Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you. See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name.” (Is 49:15-16)

When I cannot see the next step along the path in front of me, or when I feel that all hope is lost, do I trust that the Lord will guide me? Protect me? That He is with me, carrying me when I am weak?

During this lent as we may be facing trials or temptations, I challenge you to entrust them to God’s hands. If you feel as if you’re surrounded by darkness, let Him be your light. Remember that perfect love casts out all fears.
For “God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him.” (John 4:16).

Trust in the Lord.
"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone." (Thomas Merton)

No comments: