Thursday, November 19, 2009

Busy...

"I am busy."  The mantra of modern man.  I know I have said it too many times.
Are you busy? Maybe a better question would be “why are you busy”?

I think in our modern day, being “busy” has become a badge of honor. A badge that many are more than happy to wear because it allows them to say “no” to entering into a deeper relationship with God or others.

An example might be a conversation that goes this way:
-How are you?
-Busy.
-Everything okay?
-Just too much to do.

At this point the inquirer feels that they too are taking time from the other person and the desire to continue in the conversation quickly dissolves.

Yes, in modern society we have a lot of things that pull us in different directions. But, the human in front of us is more important than most of those tasks keeping us busy. We quickly forget that the human in front of us is how we encounter God in daily life:
“I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matt 25:40)
Really though, how does this work in our daily lives? It is the same way it has been done since the beginning of time - prioritize God and others in our lives.

When we start to say we are too busy for others, it hurts us even more than the other person. We need the “other” in our lives in order to have our lives rightly ordered. Even more so, we need God.

If you are a student, I have a message for you - life doesn’t slow down after school. Most of you will be married and St. Paul says this about marriage.
“I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife” (1 Cor. 7:32-33)
Once you are married and have children, it becomes even more difficult to manage time and be present to God and others.

Bearing all of this in mind, let us remember that:
-Work can’t be first (no, I am not saying to quit)
-School can’t be first (no, I am not saying to skip class or not to study hard)
-Family and boyfriend/girlfriend can’t be first (no, I am not saying to end a relationship)
-EVEN CHURCH can’t be first. (no, I am definitely not saying to skip Mass, but you can be too busy with other "churchy" activities.)
-God must be first

Once He is, we are able to see the vast dignity and importance of the “other” and we time stops when they are in front of us.

In order to properly order our lives and therefore make God and the “other” a priority, we must each ask these questions:
1 - What do I need to do in order to have a better relationship with God?
2 - What time do I need to devote to God?
3 – What are some concrete ways I can prioritize God and others.
4 - How can I not be too “busy” for the most important things in life?

A few suggestions:
*Schedule prayer if necessary.
*Be prudent in how you spend your time.
*Make relationships a priority.
*But, at the same time, don’t neglect your obligations.

Pray for me and I will pray for you that we can all find God and others today as we use our time wisely.

1 comment:

Nick said...

From "Divine Mercy In My Soul":

They have time for everything, but they have no time to come to Me for graces. (367)

On one occasion, I saw Satan hurrying about and looking for someone among the sisters, but he could find no one. I felt an interior inspiration to command him in the Name of God to confess to me what he was looking for among the sisters. And he confessed, though unwillingly, "I am looking for idle souls". When I commanded him again in the Name of God to tell me to which souls in religious life he has the easiest access, he said, again unwillingly, "To lazy and idle souls." ...Let the toiling and tired souls rejoice. (1127)