Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Prayer Request

While driving to work this morning, I saw some smoke blowing over the road. When I started to get closer, I noticed the smoke was coming from a Suburban lying on the driver's side in the ditch and the smoke was coming from it. I slammed on my brakes and dialed 911.

I hopped out and found a woman who was clearly in shock. She was screaming and I could not console her any. She spoke very little English and I speak only a bit of Spanish, though I understood what she was saying. She wanted to use my phone, but I had 911 on the line still. I was able to figure out that she was not hurt (physically) and there was no one else in the Suburban. She then went back to the vehicle and started shoving the broken glass out of the way, trying to get a phone. She didn't find it, but she cut herself up badly.

By this time several other vehicles stopped. A group of construction workers stopped and I asked them to help me calm her down while I talked to the dispatcher. They asked her to sit, she would not. They let her use a phone to call her family. Then they discovered that she has no insurance, just bought the Suburban and was most likely illegal. She was scared and still in shock, bleeding all over her hands and wiping it all over her face and head.

When the paramedics and firefighters showed up, it took them several minutes to even get her to sit down. They told me thanks and that I was no longer needed.

But, Maria needs our help. Please pray for her.

No comments: