Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Lady of Sorrows - Africa

I have found another area of the Church's life that I am quite ignorant of - the less-popular Marian apparitions. While I have never had a huge personal devotion to any of the Marian apparitions, I have always had a devotion to Mary. I pray the rosary daily, I talk to her frequently, and I am consecrated to her via St. Louis de Monfort's method of consecration.

Yet, none of the apparitions have appealed to me spiritually. Don't get me wrong. I have asked for prayers from Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Lourdes, and Our Lady of Fatima. But, never have I read long books about them or developed a great devotion to them and that is okay with me. Not every spirituality must have this kind of devotion.

Then today, I found one apparition that is quite amazing to me - The Marian Apparition of Our Lady of Sorrows in Kibeho, Rwanda. What amazes me about it is that three of the visionaries have had their apparitions approved by the Vatican and that the visionaries predicted the Rwanda genocides years before they happened. This is the only fully-approved apparition, with miracles and messages, to have happened in Africa.

To read more, check out Our Lady of Kibeho by Immaculee Ilibagiza.
Nov 28th is the feast day and anniversary of the first apparition.

No comments: