Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bishop Loverde Says "Take a Flying Leap" to FOCA

Here is one Bishop that won't take FOCA lying down:
Bishop Paul Loverde of the Roman Catholic diocese of Arlington, Va., said last week that if the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) should become law and a Catholic hospital in his diocese is forced to provide abortions, he would refuse to let the hospital comply, but he would also not close the institution.

Though there are no Catholic hospitals in his diocese, the bishop nevertheless was defiant: “I would say, ‘Yeah, I’m not going to close the hospital, you’re going to arrest me, go right ahead. You’ll have to drag me out, go right ahead. I’m not closing this hospital, we will not perform abortions, and you can go take a flying leap.’ ”
I bet he wanted to say something else, but was being polite.
He then said,
“It’s quite a title, let me tell you,” Bishop Loverde said, concerning FOCA. “It’s a misnomer, it’s neither free nor choice, so I don’t know where they got the name of the act, because it’s just crazy, because it has no freedom, and it has no choice, nobody has a choice for abortion.”

The bishop said that the law, if enacted, would deprive everyone of conscientious objection to abortion.

“It will take away the right of Catholic hospitals not to do abortions, which I suspect would close them,” Loverde said.
Scary, but it could become a reality.

No comments: