Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cathedrals and Money

I am no architect, but I know what I like in church buildings.

For example. I like the Archdiocese of Galveston Houston's new co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart = $64 milion. It is beautiful and well-designed.
Unlike the next two, it actually looks like a church.





The Archdiocese of Los Angeles' Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels = $185. At the time it was built many critics derided the building's architecture, thematic design and overall expense. I don't think the criticism was too harsh.








But, then comes this one.



The Diocese of Oaklands Cathedral of Christ the Light. The cost is $190 million. That is a lot of money for an office park.

I thought we got over the building of ugly churches. But, I guess the culture of innovation was too strong.

No comments: