Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TVs and Camping

I went camping last weekend. I noticed a few things that stood out to me:
1 - two camping sites over from us were a group of people that played music on a radio almost the entire time they were there.
2 - while taking a short hike with the kids, we noticed a couple that not only had music playing, but had set up a TV.
3 - I saw a lot of people talking on cell phones.

For me, camping is a way to relax and be outdoors without all of the noise that our modern culture has with it. At first, I was annoyed with all of the noise that was being pushed my way. But, then it turned into sorrow for those that can't seem to unplug themselves from the noise. Noise can be a tool that keeps us away from God. Noise can keep our minds away from reflection and prayer.

Let there be silence, oh Lord.

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah? - 1Kings 19: 11-13

3 comments:

Keith said...

Don’t forget about noisy canoeists yucking it up on the lake when you’re trying to slee...um, reflect and pray.

Marcel said...

Just one canoeist.
I didn't say I was "reflecting and praying" the entire time - that is impossible with that group. :)

Dave said...

When I go camping it only involves the bear essentials, because like you suggest, its a chance to get away from it all. I do still bring the portable cd player though, as I find listening to music very relaxing.