Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tony Blair Becomes Catholic

After a few years of rumors about Tony Blair's impending reception into the Catholic Church, it has finally happened. I know that I am behind a bit on the story, but I do have a few thoughts.

1 - His reception into the Church would be preceded by a profession of faith. It says the following:
"I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God."
Since he had to profess the statement above, I believe he should be given the benefit of the doubt that he means what he has professed (and therefore had a change of heart and mind) - including belief in those issues where he has opposed Church teaching (e.g., abortion, fetal stem cell research, homosexual "marriage", etc)

2 - This is actually a good time to say "judge not". Read my article on the proper usage and application of the above phrase.

3 - I still believe that he should recant his former positions, assuming he has changed his mind. Since he publicly professed opposition to the Church before becoming Catholic, he should publicly stand with the Church now that he is Catholic.

4 - Pray for him. Whether or not he has changed his mind, being a faithful Catholic in today's culture is not easy.

Some articles on the story:
The Times
Zenit
CNS
CNA
CWN

No comments: