Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Obedience

Last night while I was reading in my Navarre Bible (while my two smallest kids snuggled up next to me), I came across a quote from St. Josemaria Escriva that was commenting on Hebrews 13:17, which says:
Obey your leaders and defer to them, for they keep watch over you and will have to give an account, that they may fulfill their task with joy and not with sorrow, for that would be of no advantage to you.
The quote reads as follows:
What a pity that whoever is in charge of you doesn't give you good example! But, is it for his personal qualities that you obey him? Of do you interpret St. Paul's "obey your superiors" with an addition of your own that says, "always provided the superior has virtues to my own taste"? (The Way, 621)
Good question? I immediately thought about all of those that dissent from the Catholic Church's teachings. But, once I reflected a bit deeper on it, I thought about how I am so critical about my leaders as well.

God grant me humility and obedience!
By the way, I highly recommend snuggling up with The Word + two cute kids.