Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Works of Mercy

A friend in campus ministry sent this to me while she was reflecting on some scripture. I think it applies to how we are all called to help others, not just those of us who work in ministry. It is a very nice spiritual reflection on the corporal works of mercy.

So the last few times I've read yesterday's gospel - Matthew 25:31-40, I have been overwhelmed with joy in being able to do what I do for a living. Thought I’d share my reflection from last night.

"I was hungry and you gave me food"
I think of all those that come to us hungry for the truth - and we get to share it with them.

"I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink"
I think of all those that come to us thirsty for God - and we get to introduce them to a deep, life sustaining relationship with Him.

"I was a stranger and you welcomed me"
I think of all those that have been away from God and from the Church for a long while - and we get to be the ones who welcome them home again.

"I was naked and you gave me clothing"
I think of all the young people that come into my office completely unaware of their true worth and their unchangeable dignity - I get to be the one to tell them they are precious and loved, no matter what.

"I was sick and you took care of me"
I think of all those who come broken, exhausted, lost and ashamed - we get to comfort them and share with them God's healing grace.

"I was in prison and you visited me"
I think of all those who come trapped in sin or past mistakes - we get to share with them the freedom Christ offers and the power of the Cross to break any chains.

How amazing is that my friends?! What a privilege to do what we do. I love my job! Thanks for doing it with me.